B-12 deficiency

I was shocked when I went to my doctor yesterday. A normal level of B-12 is between 350-1000 (although Japan recently raised their levels to 500 for the low range). Mine was 247.

When I read the list of symptoms, I was amazed at how many I was experiencing. B-12 deficiency didn't even register on my radar. Suddenly I learned how important this particular B vitamin is. I learned it the hard way.

Just to list some of the possible symptoms: memory loss, numbness in the hands and feet, eye twitches, migraine headaches, depression, fatigue.

I thought I had a case of mild depression that I just couldn't seem to recover from. I was always tired and had started forgetting things (which unfortunately is also listed as a depression symptom). I have always had migraine headaches, and I didn't think anything of the minor eye twitches I would get from time to time.

I had no idea that B-12 deficiency is common in up to 30% of the population and can lead to severe brain and nerve damage if left untreated. I just assumed that I had always been a little clutzy.

If you or someone you love seems to be tired and lethargic all the time, have your doctor check B-12 levels. It takes two blood tests, and even borderline results (under 500) can cause symptoms in some people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Saved

How we can safely reopen schools, and why we won't.

Fair Fun