No Resolution

I was reading in Matthew the other day to "let your yes be yes". So, I've decided not to make any resolutions this year. Not that I normally would, but it feels a bit taken for granted that people start trying to improve themselves this time of year. The salad shelves in the grocery store are empty. Gym membership advertisements are popping up left and right. My husband says his motto for this month is "New You".

But the reality is, that most of us who do make resolutions rarely keep them. So I'm not going to resolve anything. I'm not going to force change for one month (or less). I'm not going to pressure myself into doing something that may not be right for me.

Do I still want to exercise more? Sure, but I don't have any greater desire for that than I did on December 12th. Do I still want to eat healthier? Of course, I even bought some clearance salad before New Year's when it was at a great price. Do I still want to be a better parent? Absolutely!

So why not make a resolution? A resolution is simply a decision or goal that many people set for themselves as a way to "get better" in the coming year. I'm not saying that we should be content and complacent in our daily lives. Rather, we need to wake up with a new and fresh commitment every day. So my New Year's non-resolution is to ask God for wisdom everyday. It's to find the joy in my daily life rather than let the stress creep up on me. It's to grow a little better in some way every day, every month, every year. And it's not a goal or diet or get rich quick scheme, it's a lifestyle. It's not a set-in-stone, hard-line SMART goal: it's flexible.

If my ankle keeps bothering me, or the weather turns terrible, or grocery prices skyrocket, I don't have to feel bad about failing my "resolutions". Rather, I can hope that my solution lies in the hope that I've found and rest easy knowing that tomorrow is another day, and the day after, and the day after.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Saved

I Can't Believe in a God that....

Fair Fun