A Good Tired

My upper body is a bit sore today. On Saturday, I decided to try out the "Fit In" for my husband's company's health initiative. Basically, you have to choose certain things from a list to complete in order to receive a discount on health insurance. The option that sounded the most fun to me was to take two "Fit In" sessions to see how your health is improving (or deproving as the case may be).

Since we've moved this year, I had let any semblance of being healthy slide. I no longer work at a YMCA, so I don't have access to treadmills and childcare while I work out. I also no longer work as a swim instructor (I would, but I don't have any clients right now and I haven't advertised). I think I underestimated how much those hours spent in the water helped me maintain my physical fitness, because I am woefully out of shape.

I was proud of myself that I did manage to do a few modified pushups and sit ups within the time limit. But my "Rival rating" is 52 (I'm thinking this is a 0-100 scale so that's basically failing. The good news is that they will also send me some workout videos (free!) and I get credit just for taking the Fit In regardless of my score. Obviously the point is not to make people feel terrible for being out of shape (it's just a starting point as they say) but to encourage us to improve. So, we'll see how I am doing a month or two from now.

I definitely want to start getting back into a bit better shape, just in order to keep up with the kids.

My husband was initially very resistant to this health discount program because he doesn't want the company to be tracking his personal health numbers. I get the feeling that if they do use those numbers they use them in aggregate, so it doesn't bother me as much as it does him. If we are going to try to reduce the healthcare costs in this country, the one thing that we can do about it is try to reduce preventable diseases like those caused by obesity. So, in general, I think it's a good thing that companies are the ones trying to do this. Obviously they are doing it to reduce their own health insurance costs, but I think it's a great idea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Saved

Fair Fun

Dave Matthews Band - Live Trax Volume 10