Are You the Weird Friend

The joke has been told many times in many different ways. If you don't know someone who is... (a bad roommate, socially awkward, a geek, etcetera) then you are probably that person. Or, if everyone you know is weird, then maybe you are the weird one.

I know that I can be socially awkward. I often say the wrong thing and only notice in hindsight. Because I know this, I try to give grace to those who are the same way. However, I don't have any deep friendships, yet. Obviously, I just moved less than 6 months ago, but I have always had a hard time developing deep friendships.

I used to wonder if it was just my personality, however, I have recently learned a lot about my personality (I am actually a reserved extrovert) so I have pushed past my reserved side as much as I can and am trying to let me extrovert flag fly when necessary. Although now I wonder if, instead of the shy quiet friend on the outskirts, I've just turned into the loud obnoxious friend on the outskirts.

I know that at some point, I have to start building a deeper friendship with someone, but am at a loss on how to do this.

The good news is, that I will have more opportunities coming up soon. We are joining a community group at church starting next week.

So, if you see someone hanging around who seems socially awkward, maybe even looks mean at first glance (I have been told this before), go up to them and see if they want to be friends anyway. Maybe they are just as lonely as you.

In today's online, social media influenced world, it can be harder to build deep, lasting friendships. But we shouldn't let that stop us from trying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith Saved

Fair Fun

Dave Matthews Band - Live Trax Volume 10